It has never been easier to have great dental health. Products line the aisles of all grocery and drug stores each promising the result of a brilliant smile if their product is used. Toothpastes in every conceivable flavor along with toothbrushes of just about every design hang side by side. Dental floss is displayed in all sorts of configurations like waxed or unwaxed, flavored or unflavored along with dental floss holders. There is a multitude of mouthwashes each promising better breath than the next one along with killing all the germs in your mouth. If all of these products aren’t enough they are joined by teeth brighteners of every kind imaginable. Just when the average consumer feels overwhelmed by the choices of all of these products there is help out there. There are basic tips that can be followed to have great dental health. Here are 5 of them-
1. See a dentist at least once a year. While many dentists do recommend a twice yearly visit. This is not always possible. Yet by seeing your dentist at least once a year you can improve your odds for great dental health considerably. Dentists are equipped to take x-rays that will detect any possible problems before they become serious. In addition today’s dentist have a wide arsenal of tools to both fix and prevent dental problems. Sealants can be placed on adult teeth to prevent further exposure to decay. In addition many dentists employ dental hygienist on their staff who can treat teeth with fluoride and work with patients in establishing a good oral hygiene routine.
2. Brush your teeth at least twice daily. By selecting the correct toothbrush for your mouth and using it with fluoride toothpaste (especially important if fluoridation is not added to the water supply) you have the best weapons available in promoting great dental health. Brushing should occur for a minimum of 3-4 minutes at least twice daily. Children should be introduced to brushing early and learn to make it a part of their routine. It is never too early to start preventive measure in helping promote great dental health.
3. Floss at least once a day. This is often the most overlooked component in promoting great dental health. By diligently flossing bacteria can be removed from between the teeth before plaque can develop and cause dental decay. If there is concern or confusion on how to floss consulting a dental hygienist can be helpful.
4. Practice good dietary habits. By limiting the amount of sugar in the diet anyone can improve their dental health. Sugar sticks to the teeth allowing bacteria to form that develops into plaque and then begins the dental decay process. By limiting the amount of sugar in the diet this can improve dental health. Cakes, cookies and candy of all kinds should only be eaten in moderation. In addition anything sticky such as sugary breakfast bars, or foods that can stick to the teeth should be avoided or rinsed off the teeth immediately to prevent the sugar in them from damaging the teeth.
5. Take fluoride. Some communities have taken the preemptive step of having fluoridated water. If that is not available then a dentist can be consulted to determine the correct of amount of fluoride to use. Fluoride use should be considered seriously for all children but due to their constant growing will need to be monitored in amount.
By following these 5 tips anyone can improve their dental health. By using consistently good dental habits anyone can improve and maintain their dental health insuring themselves a lifetime of a healthy and shiny smile.